Sunday, August 5, 2007

Wrong day, right horse?

As this YouTube treasure attests, the mysterious Curlin is not the only animal reeling in the reality of that whole "losing to a girl" thing. Sure, his stablemates gave him hell for a while, but they know...they know they couldn't run the Rags down, either. Well, if Curlin thinks like Paul Simon, and I'd say that's a safe bet, he's eager for his "photo opportunity" and a "shot at redemption."

While The Haskell is but one out of a hefty bundle of lucrative Stakes races this time of year, there's a certain mystique implanted in its story, and is truly one of the top two or three races every summer. Glancing over the names of the past winners is like taking a roll call in Cooperstown: Forty Niner, Holy Bull, Skip Away, Point Given, just to name a few of the legends to conquer these 10 furlongs.

There's really no reason to think Curlin can't add his African-American name to that list today. His freak-like, allbeit small resume pre-Triple Crown crafted as many skeptics as believers, but his grit and domineering leg put everyone on board in the Preakness, and his near miss to a fresh lass at Belmont only solidified his talent. I'm not liberal with my "superhorse" tags, but Curlin certainly has the ingredients to take it to the next level. That being said, I'm looking to beat him today, and I'm going with my crush, AnyGivenSaturday. Maybe it's the first-time-at-the-races-pick-the-coolest-name in me, but I really think his ability is on par with Curlin and Street Sense. The Distored Humor colt is not only a physical monster, he's proven. This isn't some lightly challenge, mystery West Coaster here, AGS has raced against the best each time out, and that four-length stroll over NobizLikeShobiz in the Dwyer tells me this horse is live and ready. I'll be rooting for the hard-lucked Hard Spun (and I feel he'll be around 4-1 after Curlin and AGS), and the very fast and very green Cable Boy, but only to complete my trifecta.

No comments: